Sunday, November 27, 2011

"Pro Bono" Design

So, I hardly ever design anything anymore considering I'm extremely busy but I'll pick up an occasional project. I have a long laundry list of things to do before Christmas that I'll get to when I have a free moment to breathe. I am glad that I have taken a break from designing for anyone besides myself. I still get emails and inquiries about paid designs which I respond promptly that I am currently not accepting any new clients and direct them to other friends that are accepting projects. Even though I am still flattered people want to work with me, at least half the inquiries I receive are from new clients who expect a design...for free.
"Hey, I was just wondering if you did any pro bono work? I'm trying to build a personal business site since I am a model so I was just wondering if you'd be willing to set up my site with a portfolio. I'll leave a permanent link to your site up as well as credit you for your work. I think it would be a good business move for the both of us. Please let me know when you'd be able to start."
Wait. Did you just basically demand I work for you for free? Would you like me to tell you where you went wrong? Don't worry, I will anyways;

  1. I am trying to build a personal business as well. So the fact you think it's okay to take from someone else's business to get ahead is appalling to me. I have worked for the lowest amount of money when it comes to designing. Oh, you'd like a personal site spiffed up? I'll pretty much do that for the cost of a cup of coffee and muffin.
  2. You're asking for quite a lot for free. Seriously, a site design with an implemented gallery I would charge at least $60 for. Which is a low-ball rate for someone in the "business" of designing. And you're description was vague - how do I know you don't want me to design logos, flash, or some other shit people usually want when they want designs. And honestly, you should ask me what I would charge with a detailed list (and when I say list, I mean a bullet list with possibly a color list) giving me all the things you've imagined your site being. Even if that list includes being touch by the hands of God and giving away free kittens to every visitor who stops in.
  3. I am providing a service for you, a service that should be paid for. Do you go get a manicure and expect to get up and walk out of the salon without paying? Nope. Do you go to dinner and expect to not tip the waitress? Nope. Do you get your hair cut and not pay for it? I don't think so. So what in the fuck possesses you to ask someone with a skill to do anything for free? It's insulting and rude. How about I ask you to model for me for free for the rest of your god damn life, that means in your nursing home death bed, I am going to call your ass and you better get fancy bitch because I need shit for free. 

Unless you want this site, I'd expect to pay for shit bro.
Courtesy of Google.


Moral of this post: A lot of people try to fuck you over and get shit for free because it's expected today. This will continue as long as my peers continue gladly been over and take it. Stop giving yourself away for free.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Lovingly designed by Tasnim